Showing posts tagged books
The problem with rereading books is that I hate having to reread the sad parts.
It is fifth grade and I am taking the state reading test. I have taken so many of these tests. They all blur together. I turn the page.
The passage in this section is about a village experiencing movies for the first time. The thrill of adventure is quickly subsumed by profound betrayal as the villagers realize that what they are watching is fiction.
There is something so singular about the writing that I remember this passage for years. When I encounter the passage again in One Hundred Years of Solitude, it is like a homecoming.
I’m still slogging my way through Dragon Fly in Amber. Just passed the first hurdle (the whole duel and subsequent fall out) and now things are picking up. But I keep getting sidetracked by cowboy erotica. Oops.
I burned through 3 of Lorelei James’s Rough Riders series (1,2, and 5 because that was all that was available from the library). They are pretty smut-tastic.
Slight Outlander spoilers.
I just got back into rereading Dragonfly and I was struck by how recklessly impulsive Claire is. Oh let me just flaunt my weirdly extensive medical knowledge and make reference to things from the future in mixed company. At first it kind of bothered me, especially when it caused arguments with Jamie. After everything they went through, like being tried as a damn witch, wouldn’t she know better by now?
But then I realized it’s been barely a year since she went back and they have only been married 9 months. So actually their behavior makes sense. I’m back to liking her.
i am sadly not as well-read in this genre as i would like BUT THE RECLIST FOR NOW GOES:
1. the blue castle by l.m. montgomery, THIS IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY
2. romancing mr. bridgerton by julia quinn
3. soulless by gail carriger, elisabeth you especially need to read this, it is a VICTORIAN VAMPIRE SLAYER ROMANCE NOVEL
4. black sheep by georgette heyer, you have all ready some georgette heyer right? IF NOT, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING ON TUMBLR, READ SOME GEORGETTE HEYER
5. the entire wallflowers series by lisa kleypas
6. to sir phillip, with love by julia quinn, about the best friend of the main character in romancing mr. bridgerton (eloise bridgerton!)
7. nine rules to break when romancing a rake by sarah maclean
I haven’t read Black Sheep, but YES YES YESSSSSS to the rest. Especially The Devil in Winter from Lisa Kleypas’ Wallflower series.
My favs not mentioned:
To Seduce a Sinner by Elizabeth Hoyt - spinster proposes to the man she has been secretly in love with for years. The best!
Suddenly You by Lisa Kleypas - I love all her books but this one is especially good. Spinster wants to have sex, goes to a madam, meets sexy younger man. Rawr ensues.
One Dance with a Duke by Tessa Dare - another one where the spinster takes control of the situation much to everyone’s delight.